Features of a well-run lab
Lab teachers influence how fulfilling the lab experience is for students.
Effective labs have a positive and pleasant atmosphere. They tend to have the following things in common:
- The demonstrator shows interest in the topic and in the group as a whole.
- The lab is well set up; the demonstrator is familiar with the equipment as well as the purposes and outcomes for the session.
- The aims of the lab are clearly explained.
- There are ample opportunities to ask questions and get clarification.
- The demonstrator circulates around the lab checking on progress.
- The demonstrator is friendly and respectful towards students.
- The work is challenging and interesting.
- Feedback (written or oral) is constructive.
- Students leave the lab feeling that they have learned/achieved something